Introduction to ADO
ADO can be used to access databases from your web pages.
What you should already know
Before you continue you should have a basic understanding of the
- WWW, HTML and the basics of building Web pages
- Active Server Pages (ASP)
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
If you want to study these subjects first, go to our Home
What is ADO?
- ADO is a Microsoft technology
- ADO stands for ActiveX Data Objects
- ADO is a Microsoft Active-X component
- ADO is automatically installed with Microsoft IIS
- ADO is a programming interface to access data in a database
Accessing a Database from an ASP Page
The common way to access a database from inside an ASP page is to:
- Create an ADO connection to a database
- Open the database connection
- Create an ADO recordset
- Open the recordset
- Extract the data you need from the recordset
- Close the recordset
- Close the connection
Learn XML with <oXygen/> XML Editor - Free Trial!
oXygen helps you learn to define,
edit, validate and transform XML documents. Supported technologies include XML Schema,
DTD, Relax NG, XSLT, XPath, XQuery, CSS.
Understand in no time how XSLT and XQuery work by using the intuitive oXygen debugger!
Do you have any XML related questions? Get free answers from the oXygen
and from the video
Download a FREE 30-day trial today!