If you are serious about XML, you will benefit from using a professional XML Editor.
XML is Text-based
XML is a text-based markup language.
One great thing about XML is that XML files can be created and edited using a
simple text-editor like Notepad.
However, when you start working with XML, you will soon find that it is
better to edit XML documents using a professional XML editor.
Why Not Notepad?
Many web developers use Notepad to edit both HTML and XML
documents because Notepad is included with the most common OS and it is simple to use.
Personally I often use
Notepad for quick editing of simple HTML, CSS, and XML files.
But, if you use Notepad for XML editing, you will soon run into problems.
Notepad does not know that you are writing XML, so it will not be able to
Why an XML Editor?
Today XML is an important technology, and development projects use XML-based
- XML Schema to define XML structures and data types
- XSLT to transform XML data
- SOAP to exchange XML data between applications
- WSDL to describe web services
- RDF to describe web resources
- XPath and XQuery to access XML data
- SMIL to define graphics
To be able to write error-free XML documents, you will need an intelligent XML editor!
Professional XML editors will help you to write error-free XML documents,
validate your XML against a DTD or a schema, and force you to stick to a valid XML structure.
An XML editor should be able to:
- Add closing tags to your opening tags automatically
- Force you to write valid XML
- Verify your XML against a DTD
- Verify your XML against a Schema
- Color code your XML syntax
At W3Schools we have been using XMLSpy for many years. XMLSpy is our favorite
XML editor. These are some of the features we especially like:
- Easy to use
- Automatic tag completion
- Context-sensitive entry helpers
- Automatic well-formedness checking
- Syntax coloring and pretty printing
- Built in DTD and/or XML Schema-based validation
- Easy switching between text view and grid view
- Built in graphical XML Schema editor
- Powerful conversion utilities
- Database import and export
- Built in templates for many XML document types
- Built in XPath 1.0/2.0 analyzer
- XSLT 1.0/2.0 editor, profiler, and debugger
- XQuery editor, profiler, and debugger
- SOAP client and debugger
- Graphical WSDL editor
- Powerful project management capabilities
- Code generation in Java, C++, and C#
- Support for Office 2007 / OOXML
Read more about XMLSpy
XMLSpy is just one of the 6 tools in Altova's affordable MissionKit software
Read more about the Altova MissionKit® for XML Developers.
Make your web applications look like a million bucks
Most web applications today use boring methods to present data to their viewers using grids or simple HTML tables. FusionCharts induces "life" into the web applications by converting monotonous data into lively charts, gauges & maps.
FusionCharts works with all technologies like ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, ColdFusion, Ruby on Rails, JSP, HTML pages etc.
and connects to any database to render animated & interactive charts. It takes less than 15 minutes and no expertise
whatsoever to build your first chart and just a glance of it to captivate your audience. This fact is endorsed by our
12,000 customers and 150,000 users which include a majority of the Fortune 500 companies.
And yeah, your applications could look like a million bucks by spending just $69.
So go ahead, download your
copy of FusionCharts and start "wow-ing" your customers now!