Why Use XML Schemas?
XML Schemas are much more powerful than DTDs.
XML Schemas Support Data Types
One of the greatest strength of XML Schemas is the support for data types.
With support for data types:
- It is easier to describe allowable document content
- It is easier to validate the correctness of data
- It is easier to work with data from a database
- It is easier to define data facets (restrictions on data)
- It is easier to define data patterns (data formats)
- It is easier to convert data between different data types
XML Schemas use XML Syntax
Another great strength about XML Schemas is that they are written in XML.
Some benefits of that XML Schemas are written in XML:
- You don't have to learn a new language
- You can use your XML editor to edit your Schema files
- You can use your XML parser to parse your Schema files
- You can manipulate your Schema with the XML DOM
- You can transform your Schema with XSLT
XML Schemas Secure Data Communication
When sending data from a sender to a receiver, it is essential that both parts
have the same "expectations" about the content.
With XML Schemas, the sender can describe the data in a way that the receiver
A date like: "03-11-2004" will, in some countries, be interpreted as 3.November
and in other countries as 11.March.
However, an XML element with a data type
ensures a mutual understanding of the content, because the XML data type "date"
requires the format "YYYY-MM-DD".
XML Schemas are Extensible
XML Schemas are extensible, because they are written in XML.
With an extensible Schema definition you can:
- Reuse your Schema in other Schemas
- Create your own data types derived from the standard types
- Reference multiple schemas in the same document
Well-Formed is not Enough
A well-formed XML document is a document that conforms to the XML syntax
- it must begin with the XML declaration
- it must have one unique root element
- start-tags must have matching end-tags
- elements are case sensitive
- all elements must be closed
- all elements must be properly nested
- all attribute values must be quoted
- entities must be used for special characters
Even if documents are well-formed they can still contain errors, and those errors can have serious consequences.
Think of the following situation: you order 5 gross of laser printers, instead of 5 laser
printers. With XML Schemas, most of these errors can be caught by your
|See why there are 20,000+ Ektron integrations worldwide.
Request an INSTANT DEMO or download a FREE TRIAL today.