SQL has many built-in functions for performing calculations on
SQL Aggregate Functions
SQL aggregate functions return a single value, calculated from values in a
Useful aggregate functions:
- AVG() - Returns the average value
- COUNT() - Returns the number of rows
- FIRST() - Returns the first value
- LAST() - Returns the last value
- MAX() - Returns the largest value
- MIN() - Returns the smallest value
- SUM() - Returns the sum
SQL Scalar functions
SQL scalar functions return a single value, based on the input value.
Useful scalar functions:
- UCASE() - Converts a field to upper case
- LCASE() - Converts a field to lower case
- MID() - Extract characters from a text field
- LEN() - Returns the length of a text field
- ROUND() - Rounds a numeric field to the number of
- NOW() - Returns the current system date and time
- FORMAT() - Formats how a field is to be displayed
Tip: The aggregate functions and the scalar functions will be explained
in details in the next chapters.
Reliable, affordable, feature-rich web hosting!
Take the uncertainty out of Web hosting and let
put service, performance and value back in. No matter which
hosting type or plan you choose, your site receives 24/7
maintenance and protection in our world-class data center. Plus,
you get the expert, friendly service you deserve, from the
world's largest hostname provider.
With three plans to choose from and
prices starting at just $4.99 per month, GoDaddy.com is sure to have a plan that's
right-sized and right-priced just for you!
All plans feature FREE 24x7 setup, FREE 24x7 monitoring, best-
of-breed routers, firewalls and servers, 24x7 onsite physical security
and access to our exclusive Go Daddy Hosting Connection, THE place
to install over 30 FREE applications. Virtual Dedicated and Dedicated
Server plans also available.
Visit GoDaddy.com today.
Virtual Dedicated, Dedicated Server and unlimited plans also available.
Save 10% on web hosting - Enter code w3tenoff at checkout
Get Your Diploma!
W3Schools' Online Certification Program is the perfect solution for busy
professionals who need to balance work, family, and career building.
The HTML Certificate is for developers who want to document their knowledge of HTML, XHTML, and CSS.
The XML Certificate is for developers who want to document their knowledge of XML, XML DOM and XSLT.
The ASP Certificate is for developers who want to document their knowledge of ASP, SQL, and ADO.
The PHP Certificate is for developers who want to document their knowledge of PHP and SQL (MySQL).