Introduction to SQL
SQL is a standard language for accessing and
What is SQL?
- SQL stands for Structured Query Language
- SQL lets you access and manipulate databases
- SQL is an ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standard
What Can SQL do?
- SQL can execute queries against a database
- SQL can retrieve data from a database
- SQL can insert records in a database
- SQL can update records in a database
- SQL can delete records from a database
- SQL can create new databases
- SQL can create new tables in a database
- SQL can create stored procedures in a database
- SQL can create views in a database
- SQL can set permissions on tables, procedures, and views
SQL is a Standard - BUT....
Although SQL is an ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standard, there are many different versions of the SQL language.
However, to be
compliant with the ANSI standard, they all support at least the
major commands (such as SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE, INSERT,
WHERE) in a similar manner.
Note: Most of the SQL database programs also have their own
proprietary extensions in addition to the SQL standard!
Using SQL in Your Web Site
To build a web site that shows some data from a database, you will need the
- An RDBMS database program (i.e. MS Access, SQL Server, MySQL)
- A server-side scripting language, like PHP or ASP
- HTML / CSS
RDBMS stands for Relational Database Management System.
RDBMS is the basis for SQL, and for all modern database systems like MS
SQL Server, IBM DB2, Oracle, MySQL, and Microsoft Access.
The data in RDBMS is stored in database objects called tables.
A table is a collections of related data entries and it consists of columns and rows.
|See why there are 20,000+ Ektron integrations worldwide.
Request an INSTANT DEMO or download a FREE TRIAL today.