Introduction to XML Schema
XML Schema is an XML-based alternative to DTD.
An XML schema describes the structure of an XML document.
The XML Schema language is also referred to as XML Schema
What You Should Already Know
Before you continue you should have a basic understanding of the following:
- HTML / XHTML
- XML and XML Namespaces
- A basic understanding of DTD
If you want to study these subjects first, find the tutorials on our
What is an XML Schema?
The purpose of an XML Schema is to define the legal building blocks of an XML
document, just like a DTD.
An XML Schema:
- defines elements that can appear in a document
- defines attributes that can appear in a document
- defines which elements are child elements
- defines the order of child elements
- defines the number of child elements
- defines whether an element is empty or can include text
- defines data types for elements and attributes
- defines default and fixed values for elements and attributes
XML Schemas are the Successors of DTDs
We think that very soon XML Schemas will be used in most Web applications as a
replacement for DTDs. Here are some reasons:
- XML Schemas are extensible to future additions
- XML Schemas are richer and more powerful than DTDs
- XML Schemas are written in XML
- XML Schemas support data types
- XML Schemas support namespaces
XML Schema is a W3C Recommendation
XML Schema became a W3C Recommendation 02. May 2001.
You can read more about the XML Schema standard in our
Make your web applications look like a million bucks
Most web applications today use boring methods to present data to their viewers using grids or simple HTML tables. FusionCharts induces "life" into the web applications by converting monotonous data into lively charts, gauges & maps.
FusionCharts works with all technologies like ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, ColdFusion, Ruby on Rails, JSP, HTML pages etc.
and connects to any database to render animated & interactive charts. It takes less than 15 minutes and no expertise
whatsoever to build your first chart and just a glance of it to captivate your audience. This fact is endorsed by our
12,000 customers and 150,000 users which include a majority of the Fortune 500 companies.
And yeah, your applications could look like a million bucks by spending just $69.
So go ahead, download your
copy of FusionCharts and start "wow-ing" your customers now!